Re: [newbie]Please help with Matrox G400 and XFree 4.1.0

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, R. Alexander wrote:

> Dear friends,
> I have desperately searched some appends but really cannot understand if
> they apply to my case.
>
> With XFree 3.x I had a perfect XF86Config for my Matrox G400 driving my 16"
> TFT display.
>
> Upgraded to 4.1.10 (on a 2.4.10 kernel) and am not able to get the
> XF86Config-4 to work and I cannot even understand why it fails !!
>
> Behaviour is that after startx for a fraction of a second I see the familiar
> correct gray stippled pattern filling my screen but than after a couple of
> "flashes" it dies back to the text console.
>
> Below is the startx 2> output and the XF86Config-4 file. Thank you VERY VERY
> VERY much for you help. Bob Alexander

	My guess is that you don't have a window manager or anything.
This means that X just starts up, notices that it's finished running all
the programs, and quits gracefully.

	Check to make sure you have a working /etc/X11/Xsession file.

Yours,
	Simon