Re: Newbie needs help finding newer packages ...

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:52:06AM -0500, Brice D Ruth wrote:
|   I'm a newbie when it comes to debian - I've relegated myself to the
| likes of redhat and mandrake for the past 5 years :( ... I have an
| installation of debian 2.2 and it seems to be working all right.  My
| main problem is that I can't find updated packages to install ... using
| dselect, the 'potato' package for apache is 1.3.9!!  Where can I get
| more recent packages?

You will never find more recent packages in 2.2 (aka "potato" or
"stable").  That is the meaning of the version number -- those are the
packages that are in it.

If you want newer packages then you will need to use the "testing" or
"unstable" debian releases (aka "woody" and "sid" respectively).  To
do this, edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change occurrences of 'stable'
to 'testing'.  For example, from my sources.list :

# woody

#deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free

#deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

There is a slight semantic difference between having "woody" instead
of "testing" in the line.  The difference is that woody is a given
release.  When it becomes "stable" I will no longer get new packages.
If I had "testing" specified, then when woody goes stable I would
still have testing (that is, new packages) but would no longer have
woody.

HTH,
-D