Is gzip broken on woody ?

This is my first Woody install - please forgive me if I cannot see the obvious. I can't seem to get a 2.4 kernel, 4.0 X or mozilla to work on my new woody install. So, my plan was to start fixing/installing things by hand. However, gzip and/or tar is not working either. Is woody really that bad or has something gone terribly wrong somewhere ? It is very strange since there is no corruption on the filesystems, apache works, networking/ssh works. Help ?
======================
joker@marla:~$ tar -xzvf
tar: option requires an argument -- f
Try `tar --help' for more information.
joker@marla:~$ tar -xzvf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-0.9.4-installer.tar.gz

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
joker@marla:~$ gunzip mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-0.9.4-installer.tar.gz

gunzip: mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-0.9.4-installer.tar.gz: not in gzip format
joker@marla:~$

--
    Jason Harris
    360-438-4004