Re: Is gzip broken on woody ?

Lo, on Tuesday, October 9, Jason Harris did write:

> ======================
> joker@marla:~$ tar -xzvf
> tar: option requires an argument -- f
> Try `tar --help' for more information.
> joker@marla:~$ tar -xzvf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-0.9.4-installer.tar.gz
>
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> tar: Child returned status 1
> joker@marla:~$ gunzip mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-0.9.4-installer.tar.gz
>
> gunzip: mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-0.9.4-installer.tar.gz: not in gzip format
> joker@marla:~$

Try
    file mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-0.9.4-installer.tar.gz
and see what it says.  My suspicion is that it's a normal tar file that
happens to have a .gz extension.

Did you happen to download this file in Netscape?  It tends to decompress
files on the fly without removing the .gz extension.

Richard