Re: Forwarding X apps

on Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 08:33:00PM -0400, Kyle Girard (kgirard@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > The proper method is to use SSH tunnels, as posted previously.  You'll
> > have to check your sshd allows X11 forwarding (/etc/ssh/sshd_config).
> > Then:
> >
> >     $ ssh -C -X remotehost
> >

> I try this from debian to firewall and it logs in fine:
>
> me:/home/me >$ ssh -C -X firewall
> me@firewall's password:
> me@firewall:~$ nedit
>
> but now it just hangs and never ever returns.... sniff sniff

No shell prompt?

To debug, on the client side, run with the '-v' verbose option:

    $ ssh -v -C -X remotehost

On the host (sshd/remote) side, look at your logs.

> do I still have to set my display?  I don't think that I have to if i'm
> tunneling X through ssh?

If you're running from a console, X tunneling won't do much (unless you
specify an active display).

If you're tunnelling from an active X session, ssh will figure out the
proper display, remote pseudo display, and tunneling between them.

> My sshd_config on both debian and firwall allows x tunneling I assume
> since they both have these lines:
>
> X11Forwarding yes
> X11DisplayOffset 10

Looks right, I think that's all that's needed.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org