c/c++ database libraries?

When programming c/c++ apps, what do most open source folks use as
it's storage libraries (for example, an address book or CD list).  I
can't imagine writing an app that requires mysql or postgres.  Storing
data as XML seems like too much overhead.  I saw a book on the
Berkeley database that is a library that you compile against.  This
seems like a good solution.

My intent is to write a stupid little app for myself to re-acquaint
myself with C or C++.  I'd rather not output into a <x> delimited
file, but use something that is more commonly found in the 'real
world' and something I could learn from and probably use later.
And/or something that the majority of open source apps use.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Rob

Random Quote:
"Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about."
-- B. L. Whorf