Re: 2.4.10 and swap usage

* Mike Pfleger (pfleger@pfleger-precision.com) spake thusly:
> Hello, all.
>
> I was building a web-browsable directory of constructivist and post-
> constructivist art, and when I was done mucking about, I noticed that
> gkrellm was reporting that swap was about 40% used.  To my dismay,
> closing the GIMP and Netscape did not free any swap.  Can I assume that
> NS had consumed this swap building it's image cache prior to display?
> I don't know what else to attribute this to.
>
> The relevant snippet from the o/p of top:
>
> 52 processes: 51 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
> CPU states:   1.4% user,   0.4% system,   0.0% nice,  98.2% idle
> Mem:    256372K total,    92544K used,   163828K free,     1228K buffers
> Swap:   131032K total,    60292K used,    70740K free,    50068K cached
>
> I thought the swap issues had finally been licked in this release of the
> kernel.(?)  Back to 2.2.x for this production box, I suppose?  :(
>
> Is there still a constraint for a minimum swap size relative to physical
> memory with 2.4.x kernels?  Unfortunately, I won't be able to enlarge
> the swap partition on this box until moving to a different HDD sometime.

AFAIK they've improved VM a lot in 2.4.10, but I don't think it's
totally problem-free. I don't know if you'll get an OOM with your
settings -- I added enough swap to my boxen at around 2.4.5 and
I haven't had an OOM error since... Maybe you could use something
like Partition Magic to shrink your ext2 partition?

Dima
--
"Mirrors and copulation are abominable because they increase the number of
entities."                                        -- corollary to Occam's Razor