Re: 2.4.10 and swap usage

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 03:28:48PM -0700, Mike Pfleger wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I was building a web-browsable directory of constructivist and post-
> constructivist art, and when I was done mucking about, I noticed that
> gkrellm was reporting that swap was about 40% used.  To my dismay,
> closing the GIMP and Netscape did not free any swap.  Can I assume that

Once memory is moved into swap space, it will stay there until it's
called for. Therefore removing those programs won't necissarily cause
an immediate decline in swap usage. Perhaps most of that swap space
was being used by X... a major culprit on my system... and/or other
programs. Removing NS and the GIMP wouldn't necissarily reduce the
swap space by too much in that case.

> NS had consumed this swap building it's image cache prior to display?

It very possible. It's also possible that all of the images, etc,
being drawn on screen were causing xwindows to bloat. Or perhaps the
sheer size of NS and the GIMP caused a large part of X (and other
rarely used utilities) to get swapped out. Who knows....

> I thought the swap issues had finally been licked in this release of the
> kernel.(?)  Back to 2.2.x for this production box, I suppose?  :(

Swap works much, MUCH better on my machine since switching to 2.4.10.
It was noticably bad before, and now it works quite nicely.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from
insufficient premises."  - Samuel Butler (1612-1680)