From: "Antti Tolamo" <antti@tola.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 1:33 AM
Subject: Re: setting up network

I don't think you need more than network(in this case 192.168.0.0)
and define gateway to DSL router. I'm not sure what 'auto eth0' does,
I atleast don't have it with my DSL connection.

An example:

iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.2
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     broadcast 192.168.0.254
     network 192.168.0.0
     gateway  192.168.0.122

DNS entries you put to /etc/resolv.conf
if they aren't put there already during
installation.

On the otherhand, if that DSL router has DHCP server,
you can just install dhcp client and get addresseses from
there too. Provided of course router has such functionality
and it is configured right. And dhcp client is too.

I hope this helps.

Antti

Antti