GCC cannot create executables

Hi there people,

I have a problem with my linux box.  Everytime I try to ./configure a
tarball, I get this error msg :

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

I use Debian 2.2r2 and everything works fine when I install stuff from
Debian packages.  But I'd like to be able to install stuff for
tarballs...not only from packages.

I'm a sysadmin, not a developper.  I have very few skills with
programming and compilling... Please help me out :)

Regards

Jonathan Kemp