Re: GCC cannot create executables

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 05:23:17PM -0400, Jonathan Kemp wrote:
> Hi there people,
>
> I have a problem with my linux box.  Everytime I try to ./configure a
> tarball, I get this error msg :

> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.

The thing that comes to mind is whether or not you have write
permission in the directory you are running configure from. That
particular test is performed by having gcc compile a small program...
if it can't write the result to a file it will fail with the above
message.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"There are two things that are infinite; Human stupidity
and the universe. And I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein