my dpkg problem fixed!

Well, I fixed the problem.  I don't know why, but it
is fixed.

I found v1.6.15 of dpkg for the alpha.  I manually extracted
this file using "dpkg-deb -X".  I then used the executable
from this package to fix the corrupted system using
"./dpkg -i" for the remaining packages from my update.
I also updated dpkg to v1.9.17.  Things seem fine now.

Wow! Was that scary!

--
James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory