PPP question (my DSL is down !!)

For as long as I've been using Debian, I've had DSL and never
the need to use dial-up... Last Thursday though, my DSL modem
died and I tried connecting with dial-up.

Running 'pppconfig' worked fine and I'm able to connect.
Tail'ing /var/log/messages shows everything good, up to
assigning an IP address (and depending on how I have DNS set,
receiving DNS entries). Problem is, I can't do anything...This
includes pinging a website by IP address. That rules out a DNS
problem, doesn't it ??

I can ping the address I'm assigned (local) and the remote
address that /var/log/messages shows me (remote).

I saw a recent post about the file "tcp_ecn" being set to
either '0' or '1'. Well, I don't have that file. I tried
'touch tcp_ecn' and it didn't work. I tried 'echo 0 > tcp_ecn'
(in the proper dir) and it didn't work either, nor did it
create the file.

Hopefully my replacement modem will be showing up very soon,
but I'd still like to have the ability to use dial-up if
needed. Any ideas and/or help ??

Thanks in advance
Hall