Solved-> Re: PS/2 mouse problems with kernel 2.4.x

Hi all,
On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 01:11:45PM -0500 , Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-10-06 at 21:14, Torsten Kersting wrote:
> > im running woody/sid and did an update yesterday, since then I cant get
> > my mouse to work with a 2.4.x kernel anymore.  Its a PS/2 mouse that works

[...]

> > /usr/src/linux/.config:
> > # Mice
> > #
> > # CONFIG_BUSMOUSE is not set
> > CONFIG_MOUSE=y
> > CONFIG_PSMOUSE=m
                   ^
This seemed to be the cause of my problem.

> I'll bet that psaux isn't loaded as a module right now.  Try adding
> psaux to your /etc/modules file for your next reboot and modprobe psaux
> right now.  This leaps out for two reasons, psaux is not listed as a
> misc device in 2.4 and you have it compiled as a module.  Let the list
> know if this solves it or you need more help.

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. I should have
mentioned, that i did not only update the distro but the kernel as
well, only this time giving "make-kpkg --config=menuconfig
--revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image" a try instead of using "make
menuconfig make dep clean bzImage etc." like i used to. Although I am
absolutly sure that i marked Mouse Support as well as PS/2 mouse support
in menuconfig with a "*" (Im sure because I allways do) it ended up as:
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=m
in my .config,  and no psaux module was build (i should have noticed this
when posting it but maybe at around 3 or 4am i dont notice too much
anymore ;-) ). Manually setting CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y and recompiling solved
the problem.
Weird thing is, that i reproduced this on my laptop with the same results.
.config using make menuconfig:
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
.config using make-kpkg --config=menuconfig:
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=m
both times selecting Mouse Support and PS/2 mouse support with a "*".

Cheers,
Torsten
--
pub  1024D/46B588A9 2001-03-12 Torsten Kersting <kersting@hqpm.net>
     Key fingerprint = 5869 11F0 1546 FDC4 82F2  E33F C692 C1CF 46B5 88A9