X broken for me in unstable

Hello all,

Having done a backup, I thought I'd "go for it" and accept all the
recent unstable updates.  I had held off for a couple of weeks.

Now X won't start.  Before dumping logs and other information spewages
on the group I'll start with some simple info to see if there's anything
known or obvious happening.

Basic facts:
    debian: unstable
    kernel: 2.4.10 - Customized for AMD Athlon.  No new boot messages.
    video: NVidia w/latest driver from unstable (kernel module loaded)
    mouse: USB IntelliMouse (gpm is working fine with /dev/input/mice)
    X: latest from unstable, starting with startx and .xsession
    Window manager: WindowMaker.  "exec wmaker" is in .xsession

The only error in the X log is that GLcore failed to load.  I'm almost
positive this was happening before when X was working.  Is this fatal?
What package provides GLcore?

The last lines I see from startx are:

  (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "IntelliMouse" (type: MOUSE)

  waiting for X server to shut down

I saw the NVidia logo screen, and briefly the blank X screen without
wallpaper, but with a centered mouse cursor.

Since the last message had to do with the mouse I played with
permissions on the device file.  No difference.  As I mentioned gpm is
working fine using the same device as X.

.xsession-errors:
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: /usr/bin/ssh-agent /home/scooper/.xsession: No such file or directory

The last one is the biggest mystery for me.  I can't find anything
related.  /home/scooper/.xsession does exist, and is executable.

I've never had to debug a weird X problem like this, and I'm not sure
where to start.  Any hints or RTFMs are welcome, with pointers to the
appropriate documentation.

I'll will be much obliged for any assistance.  Sorry this is still a
long email, despite trying to condense it.

Cheers,
Steve

--