Re: How to run testing and stay sane?

On Sun, 2001-10-07 at 15:16, Robert Waldner wrote:

> >What I'm not clear on:
> >
> >* If a particular package breaks, it would be useful to roll back to the
> >  last working version of that package (where possible).  Trick is, this
> >  requires having the last working version of the package available for
> >  install somewhere.  Do the Debian download servers maintain old versions
> >  of the package files, or would I have to keep copies of them all locally?
>
> ls /var/cache/apt/archive/

Note that if you use dselect, its default configuration is to ask you to
purge the archive after every run. If you do that, then you won't find
the old debs in the archive directory. To fix this, add a file to
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d with the following line:

  DSelect::Clean "never";

This changes dselect's default behavior, and keeps the old debs around
forever. Every so often, run "apt-get autoclean" to lose old .debs that
are no longer useful.

--dave carrigan