Re: How to run testing and stay sane?

On Sun, 07 Oct 2001 17:04:17 CDT, Richard Cobbe writes:
>* I know how to do the upgrade (edit /etc/apt/sources.list, then apt-get
>  update ; apt-get dist-upgrade); I'm mostly interested in methods for
>  maintaining the system after it's been upgraded.

Another suggestion:

Get a new apt (I myself run 0.5.4), compile it yourself. Then you'll be
 able to have, say, stable as your default-distribution, but you can
 also have testing and unstable sources in your sources.list. `apt-get
 install foobar` will install stable foobar, but if foobar isn't a/v in
 stable, apt'll go looking in testing and unstable. If you want a
 particular package from, say, testing `apt-get install foobar/testing`
 will handle that and it's dependencies, but taking, wherever possible,
 stable versions.

IMHO that's the best of both stable and unstable worlds.

>What I'm not clear on:
>
>* If a particular package breaks, it would be useful to roll back to the
>  last working version of that package (where possible).  Trick is, this
>  requires having the last working version of the package available for
>  install somewhere.  Do the Debian download servers maintain old versions
>  of the package files, or would I have to keep copies of them all locally?

ls /var/cache/apt/archive/

hth,
&rw
--
-- Luser is always a luser. You can't educate them. That's not what
-- God invented education for. That's what Simon invented LART for.