xserver-xfree86 install problem (debian-testing)

I've got a system where I've recently installed potato and then
upgraded to testing.  (Current as of a couple of days ago.) I never
had X working on potato, but I suspect the bits of it remaining may be
part of the problem.

When I try to install xserver-xfree86 I get the error
"subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128"
Not very helpful.

I've probably made matters worse trying to debug the problem.  Adding
a -v to /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.postinst gave a few more
messages, but the messages stop after starting the frontend.

I've tried deinstalling, reinstalling, reconfiguring, and beating it
sensless.  (ok, not really beating it.) Nothing works, the package is
wedged.

xf86cfg does start X and try to configure it.  Once I hand-edited the
configuration for my mouse even was usable.  I then removed the bogus
second display (the onboard framebuffer has too little vram to be
useful) and copied it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 .

startx won't work, it wants something in /etc/X11/X, but I can't
figure out what.

I did find a reference to the deinstalled xserver-mach64 in
/etc/X11/Xserver, fixing it to refer to xserver-xfree86 let the
install ask if I wanted to overwrite /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 before it
bombs with the same useless error.

The framebuffer ("vidio card") is an ATI @play 98 (mach64 with 8 megs)
pci card.  The unused motherboard one is also a mach64.

Can someone give me a clue how to fix it, or at least some help
figuring out what's wrong?

--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html