Re: nVidia kernel driver fails to initialize

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 05:26:58PM +0200, Toomas Vananurm wrote:
> > Btw: I think the nvidia module or nvidia's glx make my system hang sometimes
> > (pretty often actually:() Can't figure out what this about. I had the same
> > problem with my old pc (Celeron 433 + Riva TNT @Debian (stable)) & I have it
> > now too (Athlon 1G + GF2 GTS @Debian unstable).
> > I addition of all i cant compile K7 kernel because then the nvidia module
> > cannot be loaded (unknown something...dont remember it really..I think the
> > point was that it thought that K7 can't mmx.or something:). And yes, I did
> > make clean & make.
> >
> > So I have to use PII kernel:(
>
> Off topic somewhat.
> The nvidia drivers tend to hang due to AGP problems. Fixed my trouble by
> using AGPGART rather then nvidia's AGP, and in:
> /etc/modutils/aliases
> added under
> alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
> options agp_try_unsupported=1
>
> Works anyway on the ASUS A7V133 motherboard.

After I got my TNT2 card working, I tried out a kernel with framebuffer
support -  the Riva/GeForce support - and it made my display and concole
freeze up when I switched between X and the console. So, I recompiled
without framebuffer support, and now it works fine. What I don't know is
if the problem would occur with an ordinary VGA framebuffer.

I've been compiling with the AGPGART module, and it's been working fine,
too.

Ben