Re: xserver-xfree86 install problem (debian-testing)

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> I've got a system where I've recently installed potato and then
> upgraded to testing.  (Current as of a couple of days ago.) I never
> had X working on potato, but I suspect the bits of it remaining may be
> part of the problem.
>
> When I try to install xserver-xfree86 I get the error
> "subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128"
> Not very helpful.
>
> I've probably made matters worse trying to debug the problem.  Adding
> a -v to /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.postinst gave a few more
> messages, but the messages stop after starting the frontend.
>
> I've tried deinstalling, reinstalling, reconfiguring, and beating it
> sensless.  (ok, not really beating it.) Nothing works, the package is
> wedged.
>
> xf86cfg does start X and try to configure it.  Once I hand-edited the
> configuration for my mouse even was usable.  I then removed the bogus
> second display (the onboard framebuffer has too little vram to be
> useful) and copied it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 .
>
> startx won't work, it wants something in /etc/X11/X, but I can't
> figure out what.
>
> I did find a reference to the deinstalled xserver-mach64 in
> /etc/X11/Xserver, fixing it to refer to xserver-xfree86 let the
> install ask if I wanted to overwrite /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 before it
> bombs with the same useless error.
>
> The framebuffer ("vidio card") is an ATI @play 98 (mach64 with 8 megs)
> pci card.  The unused motherboard one is also a mach64.
>
> Can someone give me a clue how to fix it, or at least some help
> figuring out what's wrong?
>

> --
> Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org

Not sure if this will help fix the install, but you can try:

apt-get -f install

This is supposed to fix the broken stuff.  I used it when things were only
partly installed before.  I'm not sure if this is your problem though.

The other thing I'm wondering about is where you say that startx is looking
for something in /etc/X11/X.  That is supposed to be a link to your server.
Check to see what you get with:

ls -l /etc/X11/X

I get this:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Aug  2 17:55 X ->
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

XFree86 is the server you installed, or at least tried to install.  You
could check to see if you have it.  If you need to make the link:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86  /etc/X11/X

If you already have /etc/X11/X, check to see if it is a link to something
else.  If it is, then you should first remove it and then make the above
link.

Anita