Re: Debian installation problems

> And then theres X... It ask's me if I want the VGA16 as default
> server. Do I? Where do I specify the Mach64 driver/server? When Debian
> tryes to create the Xfree86 conf. file, following error occurs (a lot
> of times):

try running anXious from text mode. it will offer to detect your card. if it
succeeds, fine.
it will also help you install the other devices. anXious will also write to
your XF86Config file.

you can also use dselect. type "dselect" in text mode and check if you have
the xserver????.deb installed. for example, i run off an S3 card, so if i
remember correctly its called xserver-S3. you can choose to install it as
well. i believe the configuration that goes on will ask you if you want it
to be your default server. answer yes.

> _X11TransSocket00FXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

that's because your configuration is incorrect. it read the XF86Config file
and tried it out. and naturally complained...

> I can skip this (CTRL+C), and get into a configuration screen for my mouse
and
> stuff at a later point.
>
> Oh yes, and then theres my mouse. I have a cheap Microsoft mouse. I
> have tried a LOT of combinations (port/name), but none works. Any idea
> what to configure my mouse as?

like i said earlier, anXious will help you set it up. it will prompt you for
the protocol (ps2, serial,etc). if you intend to use the mouse both in shell
(text mode) mode and in X, then the dialog will prompt you to use
/dev/gpmdata. that allows you to run in both in the shell and X (if you
don't choose this at this stage you can edit it later). any conflicts here
will make your mouse jump all over (usually in X only). [the text mode
driver is gpm]
my suggestion is to try using anXious first, as it facilitates the install.
once successful, you could fool around using XF86Setup.

ram
linux newbie