Re: Heya..modem problem..

----- Original Message -----
From: <alephtnull@gmx.net>
To: Petre Daniel <petredaniel@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2001 09:48 Acasica
Subject: Re: Heya..modem problem..

> first take note your of what your modem's IRQ,I/O settings, dma
channels,etc
> in windows..then install isapnptools and then run
> 'pnpdump>/etc/isapnp.conf'(w/o the quotes of course)
> modify isapnp.conf using your favorite editor (this is where your taking
> notes gets handy ;)) to configure your modem. then reboot..watch the
messages
> during bootstrap and see if your modem gets detected. (if not, pls post
your
> dmesg or messages so that someone can help you)
>
> however, if you managed to configure your modem correctly run pppconfig
> (similar to windows dial-up networking but better ;)) enter your usual
login
> name, password, etc...
>
> note linux does not use the designation com1,com2, etc for serial ports
> instead it uses ttyS0->ttyS3
>
> once you find the correct serial port where your modem is located you
might
> need to create a symbolic link from it to your modem device
>
> 'ls -sf /dev/ttyS* /dev/modem where ttyS* is where your modem is
connected.'

> in pppconfig, I believe you can autodetect where your modem is located,
> provided it is configured properly (i.e. can be detected by your system
during
> bootstrap or "booting")
>
> hth
>

> --
> Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net
Ah.Look what i did:
after i plugged the modem in one of the 3 isa slots and started debian i
used
"pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf"
there were several choices,i uncommented the first one.I choose irq 9.
rebooted,and i watched 2 lines where it sais something about the usr - OK
i was unable to find those 2 boot message lines in /var/log
Anyways i run pppconfig,didn't detect anything on ttyS0 and ttyS1
then i played with /etc/serial.conf
i attached both /etc/isapnp.conf and /etc/serial.conf
the last commented line in serial.conf it was added by me,pppconfig found
the ttyS2 and the modem did some click click,but it didn't work.same with
wvdialconf.
what next,coz i;m still dizzy..?
thx,Dani.