Re: Mail in Communicator 4.77

on Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 11:06:58PM +0200, Harald Iwe (harald.iwe@broadpark.no) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm running a standard Potato 2.2r3 and trying to set up the Netscape
> Communicator Messenger as an easy mail interface for my wife (must be
> easy to use (point and click), handle MIME, clickable URL's, etc. (I
> use gnus myself, but she WANTS mouse interface....))

Consider Mozilla instead -- Netscape's horribly unstable.  Otherwise,
usability issues are largely similar, though there are other good mail
clients:  sylpheed, aileron, and mutt ;-)

> To download mail from my ISP I'm using fetchmail, and exim is working
> alright as MTA delivering the mail into /var/mail/<username>.
>
> In Communicator->Preferences->Mail&Newsgroups->Mailservers how do I
> tell it to just read from /var/mail/<username> ?

I think you just point to the folder and don't use any of the remote
server options.  It's been a while.

> I can choose between IMAP POP and MOVEMAIL. Since fetchmail takes care
> of downloading from my ISP IMAP and POP don't seem right to me. Could
> the built-in MOVEMAIL be used or should I specify some extern
> application ?

Not sure.

> And what should I specify for "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server" ? exim ?

I'd use exim, which could be configured to smarthost through your ISP
(required if your ISP firewalls outbound port 25 connections) or for
direct delivery.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org