Heya..modem problem..

Hi,my name is Daniel,and i'm a newbie to debian.I just subscribed to a
couple of lists and i already have a problem.
First  of all,i know i'm supposed to go over the old archives in order
to try to find the answer to my questions before posting but i am in a
delicate position already..

So here it is:
I just installed debian 2.2r3 on my pc (k6ii-266/64mb ram/3gb hdd)
and i got an UsRobotics old Sportster internal Isa at 14400.
People  warned  me  that  this could be a winmodem but i had no choice
than  this  old  thingie.Anyways  someone  on undernet told me that my
modem isn't quite a winmodem and that i can make it work under linux.
I  am  writing this letter from windows because i still don't know how
to make the modem work under deb.
I  really  need some advices,like i know how to edit stuff or the file
system  hierarchy and things like that (ok,not quite a newbie..:)) but
i never dial-uped from linux,and i am really stucked.
I  have  pppd  and  wvdial  installed,i tried to config the modem with
setserial,didn't succeed.
So,if  anyone  is willing to guide me how to make the system recognize
the modem and after that to set it up,i will be very grateful.
I  don't  wanna get online from windows,all i want is the nice console
and my BitchX.
Thank you in advance,
 Dani.