Re: Heya..modem problem..

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 10:18:48 +0200, Petre Daniel <petredaniel@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,my name is Daniel,and i'm a newbie to debian.I just subscribed to a
> couple of lists and i already have a problem.
> First  of all,i know i'm supposed to go over the old archives in order
> to try to find the answer to my questions before posting but i am in a
> delicate position already..
>
> So here it is:
> I just installed debian 2.2r3 on my pc (k6ii-266/64mb ram/3gb hdd)
> and i got an UsRobotics old Sportster internal Isa at 14400.
> People  warned  me  that  this could be a winmodem but i had no choice
> than  this  old  thingie.Anyways  someone  on undernet told me that my
> modem isn't quite a winmodem and that i can make it work under linux.
> I  am  writing this letter from windows because i still don't know how
> to make the modem work under deb.

If it's an ISA modem, it's quite possible it is a regular hardware
modem (I have an ISA sportster 56k and it works fine).

> I  really  need some advices,like i know how to edit stuff or the file
> system  hierarchy and things like that (ok,not quite a newbie..:)) but
> i never dial-uped from linux,and i am really stucked.
> I  have  pppd  and  wvdial  installed,i tried to config the modem with
> setserial,didn't succeed.

You're on the right track.  Figure out which serial port the modem is
on (/dev/ttyS[0-4]), an then run pppconfig.  Turn on debugging, so if
there's a problem you can report the output of /var/log/ppp.log and
possibly /var/log/ppp-connect-errors.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>