Re: Man

on Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 01:06:06AM -0500, Aaron Hall (ahall@vitaphone.net) wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Michael Grover wrote:
>
> > is there any on-line version of the man pages?
> >
> > like for "man 5 interfaces"
> >
> > I tried "man 5 interfaces > mike.txt" but there was so many control
> > chars that the text file was too hard to read.
>
> You can strip those control chars using 'col -b'. So, you can go:
>
>   man 5 interfaces | col -b > interfaces.txt

You can also use the -T flag to specify a device for output.  To output
a plain-ASCII page without control characters:

    # text (not much different from Aaron's example, mostly just an
    # example of using output directives)
    $ man -Tascii 5 interfaces | col -b > interfaces.txt

    # Postscript, nice for printing:
    $ man -Tps 5 interfaces > interfaces.ps

    # HTML, nice for browsing:
    $ man -Thtml 5 interfaces > interfaces.html

You can also install the following Debian packages:

    man2html:  Turns a web-browser and an httpd-server into a man pager.
    dwww:  Read all on-line documentation via WWW

...which turns your system into a self-documenting webserver.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org