Re: sendmail hash in /A

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:36:37PM -0700, Mike Pfleger wrote:
> > -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  3 10:01 errs3cAjPx
> > -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  4 10:20 errsBsXXgw
> > -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  1 14:13 errsaNXMWD
> > -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  1 17:31 errsnLgRvS
> > -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  2 09:31 errsuYVBBQ
> > -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  1 12:14 errsuyOfkj
> > -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  3 21:33 errsvTUUTy
> [...]
> > Any ideas as to why sendmail might put the hash and hash.db in / ?  Did
> > I screw something up in my sendmail.mc, perhaps?  How about any ideas as
> > to what the other stuff is?  The files have a certain look of sendmail
> > to them; like those strings that identify queued, unsent messages.
>
> They're just temporary files created with library functions like
> mkstemp(), so it's hard to tell where they're coming from. If sendmail
> is writing other things to /, then you might as well investigate that
> first.

The hash/hash.db are a fluke, I'll look into that, but the others
shouldn't be sendmail...

What version of sendmail did you install ? can you remove those two
files and run `/usr/share/sendmail/update_db` and see if they return ?

--
Rick Nelson
"What does this tell me?  That if Microsoft were the last software