IDE CD burning problem

Hello.
I've tried to set up my IDE burner, following instructions in
CD writing howto. I've compiled all necessary stuff in the
kernel (2.4.9), except modules ide-cd , ide-scsi and ide-loop.
I can load modules fine, and cdrecord -scanbus shows my
burner. But burning itself fails. I might be able to burn
couple of megs (maximum has been 9 megs), but then everything
freezes. I have to use reset button to recover. Here is the
output of cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=0,1,0 -data ./test.iso:

Track 01: 3 of 44 MB written.scsi:aborting command due
timeout: pid:0, scsi0,
	id 0, lun 0 0x2a 00 00 00 01 b2 00 00 1f 00
hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dam_timeout func only: 14
hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 {Busy}
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: ATAPI reset complete
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtua address
bdefae5e
    (then about ten rows of hex garbage or something)
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

After that the box is completely freezed. I think everything
goes fine until burning process itself begins, so I don't
bother you with the output of cdrecord before that. But if you
think that there could be something essential in cdrecord's
output before burning phase, let me know, and I'll send you
that output too. One thing that could help to figure out what
is going wrong is that I am able to _clear_ CD-RW:s. But
writing is not possible for either CD-R's nor CD-RW's. I'm not
sure about the exact model of my drive, but idetool says
following:

Model		IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6
Firmware	V:003.01
Serial No.	4VI22990