RE: DHCP problems with cable modem

> > > Hi.  I just installed Debian last night on my system,
> > > and everything works great except the network.  I have
> > > a cable modem, and the DHCP server requires that I
> > > send in my hostname with my request.  So far, I have
> > > tried (and failed at using):

I've got DHCP working on @home cable without a problem.
I'm usind dhcp-client with folowing in /etc/dhclient.conf:

   send host-name "whateveryournameis";
   supersede domain-name "yourdomainname";
   supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

Supersede lines are optional. You can use it to override
some settings from DHCP server.
Interface configuration in /etc/network/interfaces is:

   auto eth1
   iface eth0 inet dhcp

Ifup command starts dhcp-client and the interface is configured
via dhclient-script according info recieved from DHCP server.

I hope this helps.

Cheers    David