NIS and initgroups

Hi,
	I've recently installed debian on a spare PC at work and I'm having real problems getting NIS to work properly with groups.  I'd appreciate any advice on the following problem.
After installation I set up NIS using the nsswitch.conf file, the relevant lines are as follows.

passwd:	files nis
shadow:	files
group:		files nis

After doing this I was unable to log in as root!  Whenever I tried I got an error message
initgroups invalid argument
and was immediately thrown out.  However, I could log in as either a user local to the machine or as a user authenticated via nis without any problems and everything works properly!

After booting from CD, mounting the partition and changing the group line to
group:		files #nis
to comment out the nis part for groups I can log in fine as root or a local user but the users being authenticated via NIS now see their group as a number rather than a group name (due to disabling of nis group look up).

I've also tried using compat mode, i.e. nsswitch.conf is
passwd:	compat
shadow:	compat
group:		compat

and adding +:::::: to passwd and +::: to group but I get exactly the same problem.  I've also upgraded to the latest stable version of the nis debs, 3.8.0 I think.

If it's any help, the nis server is an HP-UX machine and we also have a couple of Mandrake boxes which are using nis via the compat mode just fine so I'm pretty sure the problem is at the debian end.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Regards,
	Paul Bristow.