Re: directly installing a deb package

Stephen Gran <gashuffer09@home.com> wrote:

> Alex Hunsley wrote:
> >
> > Progress... I did apt-get install xaos from the net. It failed again, but
> > suggested I run "apt-get -f install", which I have done, and it seems to be
> > happily getting the needed dependencies. Is this the correct way to correct the
> > situation normally?
> >
> > thanks
> > alex
> >

> How did it fail?  I guess what I'm trying to say is, can you post the
> failures here?  It'll give a better idea of what's happening.  the -f
> option works, but can cause some packages to break.  Write back and I'll
> see what can be done.
> Good luck,
> Steve

I'm afraid I didn't keep a copy of how apt-get failed, but I remember
the form.
The message looked like: <paraphrased>

Couldn't install A -
  dependency B wasn't installed.
  B depends on C which wasn't installed.

You say doing the -f things causes some packages to break -- hmm. The
software I installed does run now, but sometimes appears to hang, maybe
a symptom of this?

alex