Re: SPAM WARNING: spammers use Debian lists for harvesting

(mantra: *please* do *not* Cc me on list-mail, I read all the lists I
 post/mail to)

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 18:47:12 +0200, martin f krafft writes:
>* Robert Waldner <waldner@waldner.priv.at> [2001.10.03 18:26:21+0200]:
>> this.is.a.trap.graffl.net       TXT     "this is just a spamtrap"
>> this.is.a.trap.graffl.net       A       127.255.255.255
>
>that's a splendid idea, but don't you want to consider 127.0.0.1
>instead. broadcast is kind of harsh...

There /will/ be people who are trying to send legitimate mail, which
 could work with localhost, but mail over broadcast isn't implemented
 AFAIK.

Also, consider the following:
- if the spammer uses an open relay[0], 127.0.0.1 would cause more
 traffic as the box may try to do an entire SMTP-conversation, whereas
 with broadcast it would be just a few unanswered packets
- 127.0.0.1 isn't that funny anymore, too much people use
 abuse@127.0.0.1...

0: most open relays aren't open on purpose, just run by clueless
 ($exchange-) admins

cheers,
&rw
--
-- Writing everything for the dumbest user will
-- be insulting and irritating to everybody else.