Re: dual boot with Win 2000?

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 03:06:35PM -0700, Dmitriy wrote:
| On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:02:38PM -0500, Lance Heller wrote:
| > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
| > Subject: dual boot with Win 2000?
| >
| > Work requires I use Windblows 2000.  Other linux users with whom I
| > work report that while they've successfully built dual boot W95/W98
| > boxen, they've had no success with W2000, apart from a separate boot
| > disk of course.  I expect shortly to begin a linux install into
| > virgin extended partition.  While I've made a number of W95/W98 dual
| > boot boxes booting through lilo, what W2000 specifice problems should
| > I expect?
| >
| > Thanks for your help.
|
| Myself, I have GRUB in MBR on the same disk W2K is.
| And second HDD is linux.
|
| It works flawlessly.
| tell me if you want more info.

I too have set up GRUB to effortlessly dual-boot win2k and linux.  I
breifly skimmed some of the other replies and saw suggestions
reminiscent of the docs on linuxdoc.org :  do this with lilo, then do
this with the windows loader, then finish doing this with lilo.
While I don't want to condem lilo, I have never had any success with
lilo -- either dual-booting win2k or simply booting linux on my
previous machine (except via floppy).  With GRUB I have had no
problems, and I find the configuration to be much easier.  You don't
even have to touch window's boot setup to boot it from grub.

HTH,
-D