Re: DHCP networking problems after upgrade to woody

Nathan E Norman wrote:

> Assuming you don't have a device with the ip address 192.168.1.1, I
> would guess that you're either getting an IP from your DSL "modem"

Maybe, see below.

> (unlikely unless you somehow changed it's config and forgot about it),

It's brand new.

> or you're getting an address from someone in the same broadcast domain
> as you (i.e. another DSL customer).

Maybe. This will be a _long_ day at work, waiting to try this at home
tonight

> Use 'arp' to see what mac address is associated with 192.168.1.1.  If
> it's not one of yours, call your provider and ask them what to do if
> one of your neighbors is running a DHCP server.

Thanks Nathan.

This sounds plausible.  After my linux upgrade I booted up Windows and
never got ADSL to work on it at all.  I didn't associate the two problems
since Linux had just run successfully. Since then I ran `winipcfg' on
Windows and it also showed IP 192.168.1.2 from DHCP server 192.168.1.1,
same as on Linux.  The weird it that I disconnected the phone line from the
ADSL modem, clicked on `reset', and got the same answer back!  So perhaps
the ADSL modem is storing it somehow.

Leaving everything unplugged all night didn't help this morning (I thought
perhaps something would get reset).

Peter