new system

I am getting ready to build a new box and I would like to make it like
the one I am currently using. I am running Sid updated daily. Is there
a way to do a base install of potato on the new system then change
apt.sources to point to sid and is there a file I can copy from my old
system that will install all the same packages I currently have
installed so I don't have to go through the headache of remembering
everything I have installed up to this point. If there is such a file
what is it and if this is possible is there anything I need to watch
out for?

Thanks
Brad