Re: Network with a PCMCIA card and kernel problems

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 11:47:34PM -0500, Francois Fayard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I' running sid on my Dell Inspiron 8100. I connect to the network via a
> PCMCIA card Xircom ethernet 10/100 in a LAN through DHCP. Everything is
> fine with the 2.2.18pre21 kernel. But after switching to kernel 2.4.9 (That
> I've compiled myself), the lights of my network card are still blinking,
> but I cannot ping anymore. I think (It seems obvious) that It is a kernel
> configuration problem, as the same OS run nicely with the 2.2.18 kernel.

spending a little time going over your kernel config file and/or
comparing what changed between your 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernel config file
will show you what you are missing.  going over the xircom website will
also help.

this is what you're missing: # CONFIG_PCMCIA_XIRC2PS is not set

although i could be wrong as it's been years since i've used pccards.

hth.

--
"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and impossible
to accomplish complex actions."   --Doug Gwyn  (22/Jun/91 in comp.unix.wizards)