Re: Pure-ftpd -- connection refused

"Mullins, Ron" <rmullins@DigiTerra.com> writes:

> >Has anyone tinkered with the pure-ftpd package
> >(http://pureftpd.sourceforge.net/)? I've installed it using apt-get,
> >but when I try to connect to localhost I get "connection refused". I
> >never even get a prompt.
> >
> >I can understand if I cannot connect as a normal user without
> >configuring, but I should at least get a prompt for anonymous
> >access...
> >
> >No amount of googling can dispel this mystery. I have now signed up to
> >the mailing list, and I hope I can find information using the
> >Sourceforge list search, which seems on the blink from here at the
> >moment.
>
> I think pure-ftp is a great program. I've never had an issue with it.
>
> With that being said, do you know the parameters it's being given currently?
> I believe the program uses the .conf file by default now instead of you're
> editing the parameters in the /etc/init.d/pureftpd file. You need to check
> that anonymous access is allowed. I'm not sure that it is the default.

I think the issue is with inetd.

gnutitude:~# egrep "^ftp" /etc/inetd.conf
ftp             tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/pure-config.pl /etc/pure-ftpd.conf

Running "/usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/pure-config.pl /etc/pure-ftpd.conf" yields

Running : /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd  -a 50 -E -l pam -u 100

So, the server starts ok standalone, but I suspect that something is
preventing inetd from starting the server.

I worked around this by changing the value of the variable
"$STANDALONE_OR_INETD" to "standalone" in /etc/default/pure-ftpd, and
running the server standalone.

> Do you have a firewall on the same box?

Nope. It's a laptop, and I only use FTP to easily transfer files to
and from the Windows boxes at home and at work.

/g.

--
Gustaf Erikson -+- +46 70 444 0726 -+- [http://stureby.net/]