RE: Pure-ftpd -- connection refused

>Has anyone tinkered with the pure-ftpd package
>(http://pureftpd.sourceforge.net/)? I've installed it using apt-get,
>but when I try to connect to localhost I get "connection refused". I
>never even get a prompt.
>
>I can understand if I cannot connect as a normal user without
>configuring, but I should at least get a prompt for anonymous
>access...
>
>No amount of googling can dispel this mystery. I have now signed up to
>the mailing list, and I hope I can find information using the
>Sourceforge list search, which seems on the blink from here at the
>moment.

I think pure-ftp is a great program. I've never had an issue with it.

With that being said, do you know the parameters it's being given currently?
I believe the program uses the .conf file by default now instead of you're
editing the parameters in the /etc/init.d/pureftpd file. You need to check
that anonymous access is allowed. I'm not sure that it is the default.

Do you have a firewall on the same box?

     -- Benjamin Franklin, Pennsylvania Assembly, Nov. 11, 1755