Re: list etiquette (Windows setup w/o fetchmail/procmail)

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 11:55:10PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 09:51:04PM +0100, Alex Hunsley (seeSigForAddress@privacy.com) wrote:
> > "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> Second:  Last time this topic surfaced, indications were that procmail
> doesn't work with the legacy MS Windows MAPI mail interface.  I don't
> know how this might change under a Cygwin environment.
>
> Any decent MUA (and many indecent ones) provide filtering tools of
> varying degrees of rudimentaryness.
---end quoted text---

I have had some success using a pair of Python programs, getmail and
procbox.  Getmail sucks the mail out of a POP server into an mbox
file.  Procbox sorts the mail based on simple pattern matching rules
into a set of categorized mailboxes.

These programs are fairly simple (simplistic), but do the job.  For my
own convenience I absorbed them into my own master script, and cleaned
things up a bit.  This setup is lightweight, mainly depends on Python,
and doesn't require building a full-fledged Unix-style mail-handling
environment under Windoze.

I'd be glad to provide help (non-expert), scripts and configuration
for setting it up.  Just ask.

Cheers,
Steve

--