Re: vim 6.0 packages

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 07:16:33PM +0200, Danie Roux wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 06:49:00PM +0200, wouter@debian.org wrote:
> > Policy section 4:
> >
> > epoch
> >  [...]
> >  It is provided to allow mistakes in the version numbers of older versions
> >  of a package [...]
> >
> > Just use an epoch, please. That's what it's for.
>
> I just want to know this:
>
> Do you realise you are talking to
>
> - a member of the security team
> - a member of the Technical committee
> - the (I believe) active maintainer of dpkg
> - and to boot: The previous leader of Debian?
>
> Wichert made a mistake. I've been using the prerelease packages and I
> only recently realized that the Vim 6 versioning is funny.

Personally I think Wouter is right, no matter whom he's talking to.
Somewhere on http://ftp-master.debian.org/ (it's down for maintenance at
the moment, or I'd refer to it) there's a comment about epoch-hating
having become unfortunately trendy over the last few years, with no real
technical justification.

However, since the old packages were experimental, I won't push the
point, which is why I haven't restored the cc to debian-devel. :)

Looking forward to upgrading vim,