Re: Word-wrapping text editor

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 11:15:11PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
| On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 08:43:19AM +0800, Rino Mardo wrote:
| >
| > i'm curious.  why is it that the textwidth has to be set to either
| > 70 or 72 when the console can display 80?  my tw=79 how is my
| > message appearing?
|
| It's not that it *has* to be set to 70 or 72. It's that by setting
| it there then if the message is replied to and '> ' is added the
| line still won't wrap. Not all editors reformat as easily as vim.

Not only that, but have you ever tried to read a message containing
extremely long lines with less?  less is a great pager, and I like it,
but if the beginning of the message is super long then it gets cut off
in wierd ways.  It's also hard to read when words are split in the
middle because the pager only understands characters and not words.

-D

PS.  Just a case-in-point, see how your message got too long now with
     both Rick's and my quoting?  I used vim's gq formatting to
     re-wrap it.