Re: Word-wrapping text editor

"V. T. Jones" <tjones@on-net.net> writes:

> I want a terminal based text editor that does word-wrap rather than just
> wrapping in the middle of a word when it gets to the end of a line.  "Joe"
> seems to do this.  Can emacs or vi be made to do this?

When Emacs wraps your text in the middle of a word, that's only for
display purposes.  The text is still one line logically, and if you
save it to a file, Emacs does not mark the line breaks in any way.

If you want Emacs to automatically break your text to many logical
lines so that the generated newlines end up in the file, use
auto-fill-mode.

You may also find fill-paragraph (M-q) useful.