RE: Two ethernet cards, one IP?!?

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

> > I have an Intel Nightshade server motherboard installed in an Intel
> > server case, running Debian 2.2r3 (potato).
> >
> > Its on-board Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 ethernet card works fine on
> > its own.
> >
> > When I install an Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 PCI card and configure
> > two ethernet interfaces, the PCI card answers to both IP addresses!
> >
> > ifconfig returns separate hardware addresses for the two
> > interfaces, yet when I disconnect the cable to the on-board card,
> > both interfaces continue to function through the PCI card!
> >
> > *snip*
> >
> > I'm running kernel version 2.2.19 with the eepro100 driver compiled
> > into the kernel, not as a module, but this does not seem to be the
> > cause of the problem; other machines running with this code
> > compiled into the kernel have no problem with two EEpro100's.
> >
> > This is certainly freaky...
> >

> I have had *exactly* the same problem on a number of Intel ISP1100's,
> with dual on board eepro100's, on both 2.2 and 2.4.
>
> I've never looked into it, as in the setup I was using; it was more
> of an advantage than a problem, made my life a lot easier :)
>
> I would be interested to know why though, as it may be a problem one
> day.
>
> Theo

Thanks for the reply.

In my situation, this is a serious disadvantage; I will be running this
server hosted at an ISP.  One ethernet card will be the world interface,
the other will be the interface to our company WAN.  I certainly need to
distinguish between them.

I hope this isn't an incurable trait of the Intel server motherboards.  I
certainly don't look forward to having to convince the bosses to scrap two
perfectly healthy server boards, with on-board SCSI too, because of such a
silly quirk.

George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,
tel:   +35 79 68 08 86                   Strovolos,
email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,
web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus