Re: apt-get wierdness: when 6 is equal to 9

On September 24, 2001 12:21, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Hereward Cooper <zadok@phreaker.net> quote
>
> > once upon a time Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> said:
> > > problem: two systems with the same sources.list don't know about the
> > > same
> > >   available packages.
> >
> > have you tried running the update selection from dselect. I think the
> > problem is that dpkg only lists the files from the package list when
> > updated via dselect. Or alternativly you could use "apt-cache search
> > <filename>" which would use the apt package list.
> > Hereward
>
> hereward,
>
> thanks for the reply.  so dselect and apt contain different views of what
> packages are on the system?
>
> just tried it -- i think you're right.  imho, this goes beyond inelegance,
> and borders on a bug that needs to be fixed.  it's unthinkable that there
> are two databases of available packages which are out of sync everytime we
> choose apt over dselect or dselect over apt.
>
> seems like debian should strive to make apt and dselect front ends for the
> same package management system.   :(
>
> anyway, your suggestion worked.  much thanks!
>
> pete

Afaik, "dpkg -l" lists only the packages currently installed on the system,
or those pending installation. "apt-cache search" on the other hand searches
the apt database for packages that are available for installation.

It seems that the packages marked "pn" are packages that you selected with
dselect but never actuallly installed, so it is possible you did not select
the same packages for installation on both systems.