Re: debian distro vs. applications

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 09:26:06PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Sure, stable is always well tested, but by the time it becomes available
> > the software included in it is so old that nobody wants to run it
> > anymore.
>
> Well, almost. I run Potato on machines that I don't generally want to log
> in on, but just set up and forget -- firewalls, proxies, that sort of
> thing. On workstations, I always run Sid. I have no use for Woody until
> it becomes the new stable release.

Yes, I generally keep the really critical machines on stable.  But in
potato's case I've even had to make exceptions because of how much
upstream development has been done since it was released.  Kernel 2.4.x
is a big reason why.  Personally, I find it unacceptable that 2.4.x has
been out for 9 months and we still don't have it in a release.  An
OpenSSH that speaks version 2 of the SSH 2 protocol is another example.
These are packages that provide important functionality on the server
side as well as the client/workstation side, and have been available for
quite some time.  Yet we don't support them and won't for several more
months.

I believe we could have released a version of Debian containing OpenSSH
2, Xfree86 4.x, and kernel 2.4.x by now had we decided that such a thing
was important.  It's important to me, as I'm sure it is to a good number
of other Debian users and developers.

noah