Re: Regarding /tmp

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 10:59:58AM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
| Hey, don't delete my fucking work, just because I happen to have put it in
| /tmp.  /tmp means "temporary", it doesn't mean "delete upon reboot".  If

/tmp is only for work (such as compiling the latest vim release) on a
system where your quota is too small.  /tmp does mean temporary --
that's why it gets cleared.  If stuff is in there it's because someone
didn't flush, and now the init scripts have to clean up after them.

| you want that, how about "/gets-deleted-at-reboot".  DUH.  /tmp on Linux
| is not [...] in-memory filesystem like it is on Solaris.

If you read the FAQ that is just because ext2 is fast and Solaris'
filesystem is slow.  You can mount tmpfs on /tmp if you want to.

-D