Re: INIT:Entering runlevel:2 failed

On Sat, 2001-09-22 at 18:37, Robin Gerard wrote:
> >  On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 10:18:27PM -0500, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > On Thu, 2001-09-20 at 20:09, Robin Gerard wrote:
> > > hello,
> > > I run potato 2.2r2 and have upgraded partially
> > > with woody.
> > > All ran fine, but after my system crashed, linux
> > > boot correctly until:
> > >  ttyS00 .....
> > >  ttyS01 ....
>
> > > after a while
> > >
> > > /dev/ttyS00 ..
> > > /dev/ttyS01 ..
> > > Deconfiguring network interfaces:done
> > > Desactiving swap...VM:do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd
> > > VM:do_try_to_free_pages failed for swapoff
> > > swapoff: /dev/hda2: cannot allocate memory
> > > is it possible that i repair my system ?
>
> > > I'd run memtest on that sytem ASAP.  It sounds to me like you're running
> > > out of memory at boot.
>
>  memtest gives :
>  array a starts at 1075040264
>  found a total of 0 error
>
>  but when I use my rescue diskett "rescue" gives :
>   kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root from 01:00
>   transaction block size = 512
>
>   rescue root=/dev/hda4 gives the previous result
>
>  How can I solve this problem ? (i.e. mount root at the correct point)
>
>   free gives :
>         total
>   Mem:  46192   (16+16+8+8)
>   swap: 88352  (~= 2xMem)
>
>   but swap is unable for swapon.
>
>   What can I do except reinstall potato ?
>
>   I saw in a previous post that apt-get dist-uprade load 300 Mb
>   and can solve the problem but with a modem it's better for me
>   to buy the six CD woody in USA !
>
>   TIA.
>
>   gerard.

Try getting the system booted and make sure fdisk reports the swap disk
as a swap disk partition type and then mkswap the correct device.  Then
try swapon -a assuming the swap partition is listed in fstab.

That may allow swap to get running and therefore the rest of the system
normally once you reboot or change runlevel to 2.

--mike