Re: help - mouse, and installing NIC driver

--- Alex Hunsley <lard@tardis.ed.ac.uk> (2001-09-22 20:10):
> I'm setting up a Debian system after a while away from linux. I've got Debian
> 2.2 r3 (potato).
> I can't start X up - when I try, I get the message "No mouse - couldn't find
> /dev/mouse0" (it might not be exactly device mouse0, but you get the jist).
> I've run xf86config and made sure that I've specified a PS/2 mouse, which is
> what I have attached, but it's not appearing on the system - there's nothing
> remotely called mouse in /dev/. Any ideas how to rememdy this? The mouse itself
> works fine, it was functioning ok on a windoze system a few days ago. (It's a
> standard microsoft intellimouse (with mouse wheel)).

Edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config and check that under the Pointer
section, the protocol is "ImPS/2" and the device is "/dev/psaux".
That should get the mouse up and running.  While you're there, you'll
probably want to add the line

ZAxisMapping 4 5

to the pointer section as well, as that will give you some support for
your wheel, although to get full support, you may want to install the
imwheel program (apt-get install imwheel).

Lastly, if you find that your mouse works, but it jumps to the top
right corner every time you use it (or some other erratic behaviour),
you'll need to run "gpmconfig" as root, set the device to /dev/psaux,
the type to imps2 and the repeat rate to raw.

Then edit your XF86Config file again, and change the mouse device to
/dev/gpmdata.

> Another problem, while I'm at it - I've put a 3c network card in the machine
> (type: 3c905cx-txm) and downloaded the drivers from
> http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linuxdownloads.htm (the file I've
> d/l is the first one, 3c90x-1.0.0i.tar.gz). As per the instructions, I've
> gunziped and untarred the archive, and ran the file called "install3c90x" -
> when I do this, I get "file or directory not found" - but the file certainly is
> there! This install file has execute permission, I'm logged in as root, and I'm
> executing it as "./install3c90x" (note the ./), so I have no idea why I get
> this error. Anyone got any ideas?
> [And no, I'm not mistypng the filename, since I'm using tab-completion to get
> the full name of the file at the command prompt.]

The problem no doubt lies with the fact that the file does not have
its executable bit set.  Try running "chmod +x ./install3c90x" as root
and then try executing again.

Cheers,
Sean

--