Re: Formatting program's output

Thus spake Frederik Vanrenterghem on Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 05:57:46PM +0200:
> Hi,
>
> <...>
>
> I would need to find a way to limit the number of characters per line
> fortune supplies. (Preferably by starting a new line on spaces of
> course, and not in the middle of a word).
>
> Any ideas how I could accomplish this?

I think fold(1) from textutils should do what you want:

$ echo 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' | fold --width=10
abcdefghij
klmnopqrst
uvwxyz

and between words too:
$ echo 'Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona where we
lay our scene...' | fold -s --width=16

Two households,
both alike in
dignity, In