Re: question about ReiserFS

on Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 02:54:09PM +0200, richter@mail.oehtb.at (richter@mail.oehtb.at) wrote:
> Dear Debusers!
>
> I'm currently facing a maybe minor problem connected with the necessity of a journaling FS. And -due to my lazyness- what I am searching for, is a sleek solution.

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

> I run a production system mainly as a mail server for a user-base of
> about 250 mail-users, choice was qmail. And I wanted to increase the
> fail-safety of wrtie-accesses to the maildirs, so I think about
> switching from ext2fs to reiserFS.
>
> distri: potato (Debian)
> kernel: 2.2.19-pre17
> kernel-patch: reiserfs for 2.2.19
>
> Questions:
> 1.: are there incompatibilities if I apply a base-patch to a pre*-kernel?

I think it should work.

> 2.: if so, how do i proceed?

Read the patch directions at the rieserfs site.

> 3.: how do i get the reiser patch-package, which automagically unpacks
>     everything to the right place by using the (pre)inst-scripts, to
>     cooperate with this pre17 version?

Are you having specific difficulties?

If so, grab a production 2.2.19 kernel and try again.

If you're still having problems, post what you're doing and the
resulting error messages, and we'll pick it up from there.

Running reiserfs on 2.2.18pre21, since January, no problems.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org